Donnelly names Otwell 'Woman of the Year'
HESPERIA • Former Hesperian of the Year Becky Otwell has another accolade for her wall: Assemblyman Tim Donnelly named her the 2012 Woman of the Year for the 59th Assembly District.
“Rebecca Otwell is the kind of proactive citizen that every district needs,” Donnelly said in a press release Tuesday. “Becky’s love for the High Desert area is evident in her tireless service to the local community. She is always ready to lend a helping hand and I am proud to honor her today.”
Otwell, who was named a Daily Press Inspiring Woman last month is also the 2009 Hesperian of the Year by the Hesperia Chamber of Commerce. Her community service includes:
- Vice-president of the San Bernardino County fair board
- Former director of the Hesperia Chamber of Commerce
- Board member of the Hesperia Police Activities League
- Former president of the San Bernardino County Fair Foundation
- Member, Hesperia Kiwanis since 1988.
- Hesperia Chamber of Commerce Business Person of the Year in 2007
- Three-time Victor Valley Association of Realtors Realtor of the Year.
“I told him I appreciated it very much, but I figured there were other women who deserved it more,” Otwell said Tuesday. “He said all his staff voted for me. ... It was very nice of him.”
Formerly the longtime owner of ERA Stanford Realty, Otwell and her husband Leroy have owned four Shear Realty offices since 1996.
Although she has never run for political office herself, and says she’s unlikely to do so, Otwell is a staunch conservative and serves on the board of the Victor Valley Republican Club, is a member of the Republican Women’s Club and is on the board of the San Bernardino County Republican Party.
Assembly District Women of the Year honorees were recognized in Assembly Chambers and presented with a framed certificate for their dedication to their communities.